Sunday, March 3, 2013

Handy Dandy Survival Equipment

I am into the survivalist thing.  I think everyone should be, at least at a bare minimum. That is where I am at the moment...at a bare minimum.  Every grocery shopping, I buy a couple of extra cans and put them in the "stash" closet.  The only problem is that I dig them out before the month is up.  Not all, but enough to have to replenish along with the "unstashed" cans.  But I'm slowly getting there.

I wanted to show you the treasure I found yesterday.

A can of grapes.  Whoever thunk it!!!  You can bet this will be stashed. 

I found this on the dollar isle at my local convenience/general store.  Can you believe it, one dollar? 




And that's not all!


It has a pop top underneath that plastic lid.  I love the convenience of pop tops. 






But wait.....there's more!





What is this inside the plastic lid?








A spoon!  More convenience.  Gotta love it.





I know these grapes aren't gonna last very long in the stash.  I love grapes too much.  But I got to thinking.  This spoon lid (my new name for it) would be very handy if it were on other canned goods.  Instead of throwing it away after finishing off my grapes, what if I washed it and stored it on other stashed cans.  I found out that it fits other sizes too.

Soup

Tomato Sauce


Even if you don't stash, this would be good for convenience times, like lunches or picnics.  I'm sure you can think of other uses. 

Now admit it, you're excited too, aren't you?  What have you done lately for your survival?  Leave a comment.  I would love to hear about it.


This post was shared at:
Chicken Chick
Creative Bloggers Hop
Sweet Sharing Monday
Tuesday How-to's
Linkin With My Ladies

15 comments:

  1. Will the cans go bad before you need them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep a list with the expiration dates on it and I swap the cans out as I buy new ones. They never come near expiring.

      Delete
  2. It probably would be good to have a couple jugs of water and some ramen noodles or something on hand.

    I love the tiny Ben & Jerry's and Haagen-Daaz ice creams that come with a little spoon on the lid. It's really handy when I'm on vacation and don't necessarily have access to a normal spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in Florida, we always have to be prepared for hurricanes and the like.....so we have lots of water, canned food, a camping stove, batteries, a solar/crank weather radio, flashlights, batter powered lanterns, cash, etc.

    I wouldn't say we're "preppers"....but we're working on it :)

    I like the grapes in a can idea, though....very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! I have some of that stuff but not enough I know. Thanks Mark.

      Delete
  4. Never seen this before and I LIKE it! I really need to get emergency supplies together - I think it but don't seem to get it done...
    Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It seems everything gets in the way, doesn't it? Thanks for stopping by. I'll go check out your site right now.

      Delete
  5. thanks for sharing!

    Following back from Linkin with the Ladies Blog Hop.
    www.prettylittledahlia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia. And thank you for cohosting it.

      Delete
  6. Hi Julie,

    Thank you so much for joining the fun at Linkin' with my Ladies Blog Hop. I appreciate following me via GFC. Followed you back via GFC and Pinterest.

    I plan to have a bag for Just in Case of Emergency moments but haven't really started it. It is always in my to do list.
    Have a nice day and see you around, Julie!
    Judy
    http://www.pursuitoffunctionalhome.com/
    http://www.kusinaniinday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grapes!!! I have never seen that! Now the spoon lid I have seen on other things but never thought to check to see if it would fit other cans... will have to do that. I take soups to work a lot and finding a spoon can sometimes be an act of congress! Love it! Thanks for the idea! Found you on the blog hop. Check me out @ www.feelingtheemptynest.com when you have time. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Nicky. Glad I could help.

      Delete
  8. can you wash the cans and use them for leftovers with the lid? I don't know what size the can is but it would seem you could make pudding or jello for the kids for school and not have to worry if they lose a Tupperware container ( thoughprobably not as cheap as if you just buy the pudding cups but you made it for them)

    ReplyDelete