Sunday, June 10, 2018

Opera Review

Opera

By Meri Reiza

Opera by [reiza, mari]
An arts patron receives a wrongly delivered letter at her secret address in Kensington. Her therapist recognises the intended recipient immediately, leading her into the hands of a defeated composer she will, together with her sweetest accomplice, help back into music. A passionate rendition of human resilience.













...........................................................................
MY REVIEW

Ivanka was once one of Russia’s wealthiest and most influential theatre and song promoters. She was a genius at finding talent. But now…she is just a shell of the person she was. She hasn’t told her husband that she is dying. He would look at her differently and she couldn’t handle that. By chance, an errant letter introduces Ivanka to Maria, a recluse, a man with a tragic past. Feeling a connection, Ivanka and Maria eventually become close and work on an operetta together. It has given them both a renewed vigor, something that makes each of them look forward to their tomorrows again.


This was a short read that held my interest most of the time. I felt like I got lost in the Italian diatribe too much and it took away from the story. I liked the tragic plot and the characters well enough. I just didn’t like how the conversations were a bit nilly willy. And I definitely did not like how the story was building up to a climax that never happened. The ending felt rushed and lacking. It made me feel like I had struggled through all the trite stuff only to have missed out on the show that the story was building up to.
...........................................................................

**The above opinions are 100% my own, whether I purchased the book or it was given to me to review.


Buy the book from...

Follow the Author



No comments:

Post a Comment