Thursday, December 22, 2016

Flying Geese and the Hope Dogs Review

Flying Geese and the Hope Dogs

By David Weiskircher

Flying Geese and the Hope Dogs by [Weiskircher, David]
When you’re dying of breast cancer, you start to see, if you hadn’t before, what in life is truly important. You discard the unneeded and pull closer the needed. Some of those things might surprise others, but magically they give you the power to get through the day. They might seem fanciful and not at all practical. Yet, they’re the things you hold dear and, in fact, they become the things you desperately need.

David Weiskircher was his wife’s sole caregiver. They had friends and family and an excellent medical team, but they had something else, namely their dogs, specifically herding dogs. These dogs, to their heart and soul, define what is dedication and determination. They are shepherds in the truest sense. It also turns out they’re naturally-gifted caregivers.


Mr. Weiskircher stoked his wife’s hope by writing stories that featured her dearly-loved dogs. Despite the odds and setbacks, each story concluded with a feeling that hope had not only won in a given situation, but that it would win again.


After all that, the hope dogs weren’t done. Since his wife died, they’ve stepped even closer to Mr. Weiskircher’s side to help keep his head above the roiling waters of grief.

...........................................................................
MY REVIEW

This is a compilation of journal entries written by the author after his wife Genie was diagnosed with breast cancer. Having read several of Mr. Weiskircher’s books, I knew that this would be a very personal and depth-induced recount of their final days together. Even though the writings centered on Genie, they were more about each of the awe-inspiring dogs that entered her life during those trying times.

Although I never knew Genie, I feel like I lost a good friend too. It’s amazing how this writer can parlay such strong feelings that rock you to the core. I could feel so much love in that family. I feel they all came together almost supernaturally. I don’t know about reincarnation, but I do know that when soul mates meet, they instinctually connect. This wasn’t just husband and wife, but also several fur babies, who were somehow connected by the universe, and through astronomical odds, found each other in one short lifetime.

I want to thank Mr. Weiskircher for sharing such a personal and intimate part of his life. There are so many things about this book that I could point out, the feelings it induced, but you would be reading for quite a while. I’ll just say, I feel richer for having read it.
...........................................................................

**The above opinions are 100% my own, whether I purchased the book or it was given to me to review.


Buy the book from...

Follow the Author




No comments:

Post a Comment